Smoking Cheeses - Equipment???'s

Smoking and grilling methods, techniques and Q&A
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Re: Smoking Cheeses - Equipment???'s

Post by SVonhof »

Smokin Mike wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:48 am Ok, we got a Chemical Engineer, a mechanical designer, and I'm a semi-retired EE/Automation Eng. What can we blow up today? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Necron. Hope you heal up buddy.
I work at Laurence Livermore National Lab on the laser program designing targets that get shot and blown up daily at the National Ignition Facility:
https://lasers.llnl.gov/about/what-is-nif
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
necron 99
Smoke Whisperer

Post by necron 99 »

Thank you both gents.

I'm retired from my career below the neck, but the virtual world allows me to keep a bit of a finger on the "pulse" of the industries I worked in as a whole. But the first three years after losing my career were quite difficult for me psychologically. I used to have a more bitter perspective with "before my health robbed me of continuing my career" and being in contact with many of y'all here helped me through that period as well.

My career was focused on turning crude oil & natural gas into useful stuff, or useful moecular level building blocks for other industries to turn into useful stuff, and getting the useful stuff to market, in a safe, environmentally compliant & responsible, efficient manner with opportunities for innovation. I had an opportunity of a lifetime project near the end having high levels of responsibility in two different sections on a US $3.9 Billion set of new refinery units construction. Peak labor force during the construction period was 10,000+ workers, meaning 10,000+ workers arrived at and departed from that site in rural SE Louisiana each day for over a year. A lot of my career was also focused on smaller, older facilities staying competitive vs HQ deciding to push the "OFF" button and shutter the facility. There was more of a personal level of camaraderie I experienced in that role.

I remember someone started a career / profession / job thread back on TSR before that though, and member JeffT (I think?) noted surprise about how many of us who responded were in positions that required post-secondary education. The consensus was that was part of the signs of the times we lived in, and that BBQ and love of and with things BBQ was pretty much universal (and I'd say that still holds true today).

I found it! Despite using the "Search" feature on the TSR Forums being a classic exercise of "Embrace The Suck", here's a link to that thread

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewt ... light=work
Smokin Mike
Sultan of Sauce

Post by Smokin Mike »

SVonhof wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:34 am I work at Laurence Livermore National Lab on the laser program designing targets that get shot and blown up daily at the National Ignition Facility:
:shock: :shock: :shock: Star wars light sabers??? I want one.
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
necron 99
Smoke Whisperer

Post by necron 99 »

Smokin Mike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 am
SVonhof wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:34 am I work at Laurence Livermore National Lab on the laser program designing targets that get shot and blown up daily at the National Ignition Facility:
It's the key to harnessing controlled Nuclear Fusion for electric power, my understanding is we're not currently limited on laser power or quality, but how (im)perfectly we can manufacture a spherical target container.
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Post by SVonhof »

necron 99 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:36 am
Smokin Mike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 am
It's the key to harnessing controlled Nuclear Fusion for electric power, my understanding is we're not currently limited on laser power or quality, but how (im)perfectly we can manufacture a spherical target container.
We are limited in laser power, depending on how you look at it. The larger you go, the more power you need. Or, the harder or longer you want to push, the more power you need. There are a lot of knobs to tweak during a shot and we do have very round capsules but any imperfection (no matter how small) gets amplified as the capsule implodes and can cause issues.

We do a LOT of shots for research on things of all sorts of natures and I don't even come close to understanding much of what they are trying to do/study as the people running the program are a lot smarter than I am.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner