Grill/smoker cleaning

Smoking and grilling methods, techniques and Q&A
SMOKEDUP

Grill/smoker cleaning

Post by SMOKEDUP »

I don't normally really clean my grills except for the grates. I think the seasoning adds to the flavor.
Well today my mom calls and wants to know if a neighbor can use my grills. They had a freezer go out over weekend and wanted to cook stuff up before it went bad. I said sure (mistake) there's plenty of charcoal in storage room along with pellets for the smoker.
Well I get home from work and can tell grill hasn't been used but smoker has. (Still warm) I lift lid to look and am hit with the nastiest rancid smell ever. The grates still had food stuck all over them and they just unpluged it instead of shutting down. They had used my new smoker (1 month) to cook whatever had went bad in their freezer. I'm pissed took me two cans of oven cleaner to clean my new PB 1150. Then had to semi reseason. Then my mom comes and ask are you going to say anything to them? No mom I won't. I hope they eat it and get sick.
OK thanks for letting me vent. I feel a lil better. LoL
If the grill's smokin it don't need stokin!
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Re: Grill/smoker cleaning

Post by SVonhof »

That sucks.

Lesson learned for you, if people want to borrow the grill or smoker, tell them you will cook it for them if they bring the meat. That way you control everything. Only way I would let others "borrow" my gear is if I knew them and how they treat things.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
Smokin Mike
Sultan of Sauce

Post by Smokin Mike »

Well that sucks! I honestly don't know how people are raised these days. I was taught, and very sternly at that, when you borrow something you should always return it promptly and in better shape then when you got it. I'm not sure how I would have handled that but then again I don't lightly loan out my stuff unless it's someone that I know is responsible. I guess you won't be making that mistake again anytime in the near future.
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
YukonJasper
Smoke Whisperer

Post by YukonJasper »

That is terrible. I do think it is interesting that these people think that rotted meat will be ok if you smoke it. Tough to take the hit on a freezer failure, but good God, what is your health worth?