Smoked Salsa

Appetizer recipes
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Smoked Salsa

Post by SVonhof »

I got this recipe from JLCBBQ's post on the Smoke Ring and it is a go-to recipe for us:
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69843

Ingredients:
6 Roma Tomatoes
9 Serrano peppers
10 Cloves of garlic
2 Onions, skinned and halved

Cilantro
Salt (to taste)
Ripe avocado

Directions:
1. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a disposable aluminum pan and smoke it two hours. Throw everything in a blender with a cilantro and season with salt to taste.

If it is too spicy, add in ripe avocado to cut the heat.

We generally find that we need to cut the heat and should probably swap out some of the Serrano's for Jalapeno's.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Re: Smoked Salsa

Post by Smokin Mike »

Scott I thought that recipe looked familiar and sure enough I had given it a spin back in 2016. I'm not sure why I haven't made any of the salsa since but it may be just one of those things that fell through the cracks. Thanks for posting that up as it gives me a reminder to get off my duff and to make another batch as I remember it being very good. :D
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
RiskDude

Post by RiskDude »

That looks interesting. Making salsa is another thing on my list this year. Just haven't done it yet. How does the smoking impact the flavor??
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Post by SVonhof »

RiskDude wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:30 pm That looks interesting. Making salsa is another thing on my list this year. Just haven't done it yet. How does the smoking impact the flavor??
It obviously adds a smokey note to it. It also softens the veggies, making it easier to get them chopped up in the food processor.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner