Zelix homemade sauce.....the journey.

Recipes for brines, mops, dips and sauces
zelix

Zelix homemade sauce.....the journey.

Post by zelix »

This is something i would love to do. Make my own sauce. I know it's crazy since there are a million different ones already on the shelves ready to go. I'm a geek about cooking at times. It would be great to cook something with everything completely homemade.

I am going to go on a journey of discovery with this and document it in this thread. (if permitted)

Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Re: Zelix homemade sauce.....the journey.

Post by Smokin Mike »

zelix wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:31 am
This is something i would love to do. Make my own sauce. I know it's crazy since there are a million different ones already on the shelves ready to go. I'm a geek about cooking at times. It would be great to cook something with everything completely homemade.

I am going to go on a journey of discovery with this and document it in this thread. (if permitted)
I feel the same way. It's almost a feeling of shame using something off the store shelf.... well let me elaborate on that. I'm talking about the corporate stuff with high fructose sugar in it. There are many good sauces available but it's always a great feeling to create your own, with your own spin. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 👍
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle

zelix

Post by zelix »

Smokin Mike wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:43 am
zelix wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:31 am

I feel the same way. It's almost a feeling of shame using something off the store shelf.... well let me elaborate on that. I'm talking about the corporate stuff with high fructose sugar in it. There are many good sauces available but it's always a great feeling to create your own, with your own spin. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 👍

Thanks. Yeah I use store shelf stuff. I'm just a geek that likes to create. So I'm thinking I'm going to distill all the different sauces I like into one sauce that's tailor suited to myself. I've got a basic mop and rub.....just getting that sauce to finish it off to perfection.

:geek:

Suckaass

Post by Suckaass »

It definitely can be fun, and not difficult, tweaking recipes or coming up with your own concoctions to suit your taste. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :D
Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts.
Be ice cream or be nothing— Ron Swanson

Bearded

Post by Bearded »

Have you had any successes or failures you can share yet on this journey to sauce perfection?

jess

Post by jess »

For years I have used the old cheap standby Open Pit and doctored it according to what I am cooking, ribs, pulled pork, yard bird,
etc. I can buy it for about 5.00 a gal. I don't believe I can buy the basic ingredients for that. GMHO...