Low Country Boil (for 10 People)

Recipes for everything else not generally smoked or grilled.
Stews, Chili, Gumbo, Casseroles, Crab & Shrimp Boils, etc.
jeepdad
Smoke Whisperer

Low Country Boil (for 10 People)

Post by jeepdad »

Dan’s LCB for 10 People

What You Will Need
A Turkey Fryer set-up.
Newspaper and Parchment paper to cover table. Using newspaper alone gets the ink from the paper runny and messy. Put the parchment on top the paper and there is no problem
Butter for the corn on the cob.
Couple bottles of hot sauce on the table.
Fresh crusty garlic bread.
Cocktail sauce, for serving (optional)
Tartar sauce (optional)
Melted butter (and garlic if wanted) for dipping the shrimp (optional).

Ingredients
16 ozs Zatarain’s Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil Seasoning.
5 pounds red potatoes cut up
2 (16 ounce) packages cooked kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/2-1 inch pieces
2 pounds andouille Cajun Sausage, cut into 1/2 pieces
6-8 ears fresh corn, husks and silks and cut in two
2 pounds crab legs, broken into pieces
2.5 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
2.5 lbs of Mussels
2 Lemons, squeezed and halved
2 whole garlic, sliced horizontally
6 Serrano Peppers (optional)
3 Vidalia Onions, quartered
2 pounds small baby carrots (people LOVE munching on these carrots)
Add small amount of concentrate for spicy more fuller flavor (optional).

Directions
Start with a pot filled 1/2 with fresh cold water.

In the pot add crab boil mix to the water. I use Zatarains. Squeeze juice from 2 of the lemon into the water, and drop in the rinds. Add the garlic cloves, peppers, onions, and hot sauce into the water. I also add 8-10 shakes of Tabasco sauce. Bring to a boil. Optional: You may also add red and green bell pepper slices, mushrooms, scallions, cayenne powder, and 1-2 beers.

Then add sausage, carrots, and potatoes. Bring to a second boil, and continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes, or until potatoes start to get soft.
Add the corn and start a count of 5 minutes. Do not wait until water boils.

At 5 minutes, add mussels and crabs.

3 minutes later, add shrimp. Boil for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.

Drain immediately.

LCB Notes
1. When adding the shrimp – don’t add frozen shrimp to the boil. If you use frozen shrimp you have to first thaw them. If you throw them in frozen, the heat differential will cause proteins on the shrimp flesh surface to bond with the shell–makes it hard to remove those shells.

2. Also, to make the shrimp easier to peel after cooking, add a tablespoon or so of white vinegar to the boiling water. I typically peel the shrimp it’s just easier when eating.

3. One of the biggest issues with other people’s LCBs is that they go too light on the seasoning. Many recipes simply call for “Old Bay to taste”, and a lot of folks wind up under seasoning the food. Or if you are working off of the directions off of a boil-bag box, you only use one for a boil for 10+ people, and you can barely taste the difference. The secret is to be aggressive with the seasoning. For the LCB Saturday I used 16 ozs of seasoning which was just right.

4. Turn off the pot when you add the shrimp/crawfish at the end & the residual heat will cook it.

5. You can also do an LCB indoors on the stovetop. If just for your family use a pot and reduce the amount above.

6. I use a Bayou Classic 32 Quart (8 gallons) turkey fryer set-up. It comes with a strainer bucket that makes draining the liquid off very simple. But when doing bigger LCBs I don’t use the strainer to be able to get more ingredients in the pot.