Sausage - How I make it.. Part 1

Bacon, Sausage, Ham, Pastrami, Prosciutto, Chorizo, etc.
Discuss your method of preparing them.
RiskDude
Smoke Whisperer

Sausage - How I make it.. Part 1

Post by RiskDude »

The last time I made sausage, I took pictures to show my process. I did lots of research and reading before I started, and finally got to a point where I can do a pretty OK job at it!

Found these two books to be really helpful:
IMG_0730.JPG
Next, gather the tools:
IMG_0870.JPEG
IMG_0864.JPEG
The pork:
IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_0866.jpg
I cut it into strips which makes it easier to feed into the grinder:
IMG_0867.jpg
After this first cut, I place the strips into the freezer to harden up. This makes it much easier to feed and the grinder has no trouble with almost frozen pork. Only takes a few minutes to go through it all. If it were room temp, the fat really mucks up the grinding plate and I usually have to stop, disassemble and clean it out. When frozen, it just powers through:
IMG_0873.JPEG
IMG_0874.jpg
After the first grind, back into the freezer for a second grind:
IMG_0875.jpg
Now is time for mixing in Part 2 :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RiskDude
Smoke Whisperer

Sausage - How I make it.. Part 2

Post by RiskDude »

After the second grind, I can start mixing. First, gather the spices. This batch is Zesty Italian and Breakfast. No pics of the final breakfast sausage as the process is the same. I used The Sausage Maker mixes. They are really good, but I find myself adding about 20% more than the recipe calls for to punch up the flavor.
IMG_0863.jpg
IMG_0729.JPEG
Next step is mixing. I just do it by hand until it is "sticky". usually about 5 minutes. Since the pork is cold, and you add cold liquid, your hand gets really cold too. One of these days I need to get some cotton gloves to fit under the nitrile gloves.
IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0879.JPEG
After mixing the spices and cure (I use Cure#1 since I like to smoke some of the Italian), I usually let it set in the fridge overnight before stuffing.

I didn't stuff it all though.... makes great lasagna!!
IMG_0880.JPEG
But for smoking, I stuffed, using natural casings:
IMG_0881.jpg
IMG_0882.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg
Then, to the smoker... Part 3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RiskDude
Smoke Whisperer

Sausage - How I make it.. Part 3 Smoking

Post by RiskDude »

For this batch, I used my WSM. Because sausage tends to smoke at a lower temp, I make a snake ring of charcoal with wood chips or pellets to keep the temp lower. There is a whole science and discussion on ways to smoke sausage for tenderness and consistency. I tend to try an maintain a consistent temp of about 165 - 170 ish. I realize this is not the ideal temp, but it works for me ;)

The snake method in a WSM:
IMG_2106.JPG
Sausage On:
IMG_0885.JPEG
IMG_0887.jpg
Done:
IMG_0888.jpg
Decided to grill some up:
IMG_0890.JPEG
IMG_0892.JPEG
Good Times.......
Smokin Mike
Sultan of Sauce

Re: Sausage - How I make it.. Part 1

Post by Smokin Mike »

Awesome!!! I see you have some top of the line equipment for grinding and stuffing. I keep telling myself that some day I would like to make my own breakfast sausage. I looked at some of the LEM products. They're a bit on the pricey side but from what I understand you're definitely getting what you paid for. Nice Job Riskdude!
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
RiskDude
Smoke Whisperer

Re: Sausage - How I make it.. Part 1

Post by RiskDude »

Thx! It can take time, especially to freeze the meat. The rest of the process moves along.

I actually started out with an old hand grinder but it became cumbersome. I like the build quality of LEM. Got the stuffer on Amazon fairly cheap but I ordered the grinder on the LEM website. They periodically run a 20% off the highest cost item. Sign up for their e-mails and they will send notices. I do spend too much time on the internet just looking for deals.