Total noob to curing

Bacon, Sausage, Ham, Pastrami, Prosciutto, Chorizo, etc.
Discuss your method of preparing them.
User avatar
Smokin Mike
Sultan of Sauce
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:09 pm
Location: Down East, NC
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Total noob to curing

Post by Smokin Mike »

The directions on my canister of Prague #1 says to mix the powder with cold water. The powder is 93.75% salt (sodium) and the remainder of 6.25% is sodium nitrite. I think we all know that dissolving sodium in warm / hot water doesn't present any issues but the question is, does the sodium nitrite properties change under heat? That may a good question to post to Dr. Blonder over at Amazing Ribs.
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
User avatar
gandrfab
Smoke Whisperer
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 am
Location: Edgewater Fl
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Total noob to curing

Post by gandrfab »

The appearance in the bag didn't change from the OP pic. This was right out of the bag and cut open. Not odd odor.

1sthamcutprecook.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
gandrfab
Smoke Whisperer
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 am
Location: Edgewater Fl
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Total noob to curing

Post by gandrfab »

To touch on my back ground the 1st time I slow cooked a pork butt for pulling I did it with no seasoning for my own baseline. It came out with what I'll call a still on the hoof flavor. This experiment had about the same flavor.
Seasoning has been added to my slow cooked pork butt and is now requested.

Plain smaller piece on left, lightly black peppered the bigger one. Went in the oven @350. Out of the oven picture below.
1stcook.PNG
Small one not pictured below made it to165f and was too tough, the dog loved it.
Peppered one pictured below cut open made it to 160f I ate some of it and nothing to write home about but not deterred.
1stcooked.PNG
I'm not ready to rush into eating up the fridge space with another soak but would like to try and improve a baseline loin.

Research and learning continues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply