Mike Scores a Gasser

Discussion about retail and custom ordered grills and smokers.
The good, the bad, and the ugly.
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Mike Scores a Gasser

Post by Smokin Mike »

About this time every year, our town has what is known as Bulky Item Collection Day. It's a time when residents can haul their junk out to the curb and the city will pick it up. Usually the good stuff doesn't last long as every Sanford and Son in town drives through scavenging what they can. One of my neighbors parked a Charbroil Commercial Series 4 burner gas grill at the curb. It had been sitting there about 24 hours before temptation took control of my mind and my spirit. I just hated to see a good grill like that get out of my sight so here we go loading it up in the back of the pickup. I believe a little TLC and some Barkeeper's Friend it'll shine up good as new. From what I can determine this is a $550 grill.

It's a damn sickness I tell ya 😁🤣😜
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
YukonJasper
Smoke Whisperer

Re: Mike Scores a Gasser

Post by YukonJasper »

Looks pretty good. What do the burners etc. Look like?

I was going to scrap my Huntington Rebel at the end of summer and watch for a sale to replace it, but opted for new SS grates, burners and a new( longer) gasline with an inline gas Guage along with a thorough cleaning. Bought a couple more years at least. Valves are hanging in there. About $200 into it.

https://www.clagrills.com/allgrillparts ... 020-64.htm

Here's the link to the site I ordered my burners from. The rest came from China via Amazon.
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Post by SVonhof »

Not a bad find!

I got my Weber Genesis EP-330 from my buddy for free.

His neighbor owned it and it caught fire and he had to use the fire extinguisher on it. His wife told him he was never cooking on it again, so he asked my buddy if he was interested. My buddy took it, power washed it and was going to give it to his wife's uncle for their cabin since they always buy the cheap grills and replace them every few years. The uncle never came to get it, so I did! 4-burners (one extra for searing on the left) and a side burner for a pot of whatever.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Post by Smokin Mike »

YukonJasper wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:48 am Looks pretty good. What do the burners etc. Look like?

https://www.clagrills.com/allgrillparts ... 020-64.htm

Here's the link to the site I ordered my burners from. The rest came from China via Amazon.
At a glance they look ok, just need some cleaning. I'll know more in a few days when I hook a tank up to it.
Thanks for the link. I'll bookmark that for when I might need some replacement burners.
80 Gallon Vertical
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Post by Smokin Mike »

SVonhof wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:57 pm Not a bad find!

Nice!!! I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Weber and a free one at that :mrgreen:
80 Gallon Vertical
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Post by SVonhof »

Smokin Mike wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:30 pm
SVonhof wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:57 pm Not a bad find!

Nice!!! I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Weber and a free one at that :mrgreen:
For sure. They are built to last. My previous gasser was a Weber Silver B that I got in 2001. I gave it away when I got this one gifted to me. I replaced the grates, starter and flavorizer bars and that is all, in the 20 years I had it.

I expect this "new" one to last another 20. Can't say that about most of the grills people buy at Home Depot and Lowes.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Post by Smokin Mike »

SVonhof wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:44 pm I expect this "new" one to last another 20. Can't say that about most of the grills people buy at Home Depot and Lowes.
That's funny. I was at both those stores yesterday "Inspecting" the spring crop of grills they had rolled outside next to the entrance. Home Depot had a bunch of Dyna-Glo and a new brand called Nexgrill. Lowe's had a yard full of Char-broil. It's all commodity stuff cheapened down to compete with the store across the street. If I were ever shopping for a new gas grill, Weber would be on top of the list although Char-Broil's higher end stuff isn't too bad, but it's definitely not in the same class as Weber, IMO.
80 Gallon Vertical
Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Hey mike I had the same grill laying back home in PA. Went to throw it out and could not get myself to do it. Did a little research and found out that the burners were brass and still under warranty...they sent me new ones and I bought new knobs and only cost me 8 dollars to turn it into a pizza oven. I cut a large chimney flue and covered the grate with it It will peg the thermometer and makes great pizza. Cut the legs off to place in my pavilion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Post by Smokin Mike »

Maniac wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:45 pm Hey mike I had the same grill laying back home in PA. Went to throw it out and could not get myself to do it. Did a little research and found out that the burners were brass and still under warranty...they sent me new ones and I bought new knobs and only cost me 8 dollars to turn it into a pizza oven. I cut a large chimney flue and covered the grate with it It will peg the thermometer and makes great pizza. Cut the legs off to place in my pavilion
Awesome job on that! I love to see things re-purposed. Good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger.
80 Gallon Vertical
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Post by SVonhof »

Maniac wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:45 pm Hey mike I had the same grill laying back home in PA. Went to throw it out and could not get myself to do it. Did a little research and found out that the burners were brass and still under warranty...they sent me new ones and I bought new knobs and only cost me 8 dollars to turn it into a pizza oven. I cut a large chimney flue and covered the grate with it It will peg the thermometer and makes great pizza. Cut the legs off to place in my pavilion
Just wondering, would it be helpful to add fire bricks (or similar) in the lid, to help radiate heat down on the pizza (more like a wood fired pizza oven)? I know you would have to start thinking about counterweights if you were to do that, but I was wondering.
Scott V.