Pellet gril

Discussion about retail and custom ordered grills and smokers.
The good, the bad, and the ugly.
Smokin Mike
Sultan of Sauce

Re: Pellet gril

Post by Smokin Mike »

SMOKEDUP wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:27 am Well 4 months later ended up getting a Pit Boss XL. Burned her in yesterday and loading it up with 8 racks of babybacks today.
We will be standing by waiting on the pics of your new grill. :mrgreen:
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
necron 99
Smoke Whisperer

Post by necron 99 »

Especially photos of your new rig in action!
SMOKEDUP

Post by SMOKEDUP »

20210703_144555.jpg
20210703_154710.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If the grill's smokin it don't need stokin!
SMOKEDUP

Post by SMOKEDUP »

Sorry guys these are the only pictures I took. Just after putting together and startin to burn in.
I'll try to git some action shots next cook. Tryin to learn this thing. First cook ribs were fall off the bone and good. As in literally falling offbone. I could have lifted every bone out of rack and left meat laying on platter.
If the grill's smokin it don't need stokin!
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Post by SVonhof »

SMOKEDUP wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:34 pm Sorry guys these are the only pictures I took. Just after putting together and startin to burn in.
I'll try to git some action shots next cook. Tryin to learn this thing. First cook ribs were fall off the bone and good. As in literally falling offbone. I could have lifted every bone out of rack and left meat laying on platter.
That means they cooked too long. Try an hour less and you will have more pull to the meat but should leave teeth-marks in it where you bit.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
necron 99
Smoke Whisperer

Post by necron 99 »

SMOKEDUP wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:34 pm Sorry guys these are the only pictures I took. Just after putting together and startin to burn in.
Next time is fine!

Did you wrap those fall off the bone ribs as part of the cook session?

My wife & I have differing opinions on wrapping ribs. She prefers when I wrap them in foil for part of the cook, eliminating further smoke uptake and braising for a bit.

I tend to prefer not wrapping them with foil, with more smoke uptake, a slight pull, and firmer bark.

I bought some pink butcher paper to experiment with next time I cook ribs. We shall see.

I've never tried glazing ribs, and sometimes I smoke them with no rub whatsoever leaving it to each diner to manufacture their own seasoning & sauce profile, but I haven't done that in a while.

I stumbled across this device, if I ever pull the trigger on one, I'll give glazing ribs a try as all heat comes from above instead of below. I have visions of spatcocked poultry with super crispy glazed skin from this apparatus as well. If only it wasn't so dang expensive :| I'm pretty frugal by habit but I know I can't take it with me either.

https://blazingbullgrills.com/?matchtyp ... gLHxfD_BwE

I really oughta sell my trailer mounted 24" diameter combination horizontal and vertical offset smoker (an original Oklahoma Joe's Chuckwagon, similar to a Horizon Ranger 24" single door model except with a round vertical section with a single door and 3 food grates and some hangar rods in the vertical section, no covered box but an expanded metal wood box.

http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/traile ... er-trailer

I modded it hiring a welder with my own design diffuser plate for the horizontal section and an extreme fire grate for the firebox but I haven't used it since we moved to San Antonio in 2016. If I sell that I'll feel better about maybe buying one of those Blazing Bull systems.
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Post by SVonhof »

necron 99 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:13 am I stumbled across this device, if I ever pull the trigger on one, I'll give glazing ribs a try as all heat comes from above instead of below. I have visions of spatcocked poultry with super crispy glazed skin from this apparatus as well. If only it wasn't so dang expensive :| I'm pretty frugal by habit but I know I can't take it with me either.

https://blazingbullgrills.com/?matchtyp ... gLHxfD_BwE
So, you want a Salamander. That's what that is, but it's portable and not made as well as a commercial unit would be.

35,000 BTU Natural Gas or LP:
https://www.toolots.com/kf-sm36.html?ci ... CAQAvD_BwE

90,000 BTU (may be a questionable rating) propane:
https://www.bbqguys.com/r-and-v-works/c ... er-on-cart

36,000 BTU natural gas:
https://www.restaurantsupply.com/empura ... HIQAvD_BwE
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
necron 99
Smoke Whisperer

Post by necron 99 »

Funny thing about our Texas neighborhood is no municipal natural gas is available, so it's propane for all gas appliances.

Thanks for the links. It'd be nice if I was able to physically inspect both brands in person but I doubt that'll honestly be practical.

Maybe I'll look around for a used but not abused propane compatible Salamander.

ETA: This apparatus just might go on my Santa list! There's only my wife & I in our household. Just need a Y or T fitting for propane supply and mount it to my venerable Charbroil Masterflame 8000 my wife gave me for Christmas back in 1997.

https://cajunfryer.com/shop/cbb-mini-ca ... ttachment/
YukonJasper
Smoke Whisperer

Post by YukonJasper »

I inherited a top cook propane fired infrared setup from my father. It's sitting in the shed, hasn't been used in decades. With Gas grill, pellet grill and infrared cooker, I have no excuse for not cooking up a storm.

I'd have to check the hose/regulator on the infrared. Would I expect that to be a different regulator than a standard grill?
necron 99
Smoke Whisperer

Post by necron 99 »

Good question. I honestly don't know the answer. If the manufacturer is still in business might be the best place to ask.

If I can get my dang body to slack off on throwing me curve balls, I'll be happy to get back to cooking up a storm outdoors again like yourself!