Weber now has Kamodo style grill/smokers

Discussion about retail and custom ordered grills and smokers.
The good, the bad, and the ugly.
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Weber now has Kamodo style grill/smokers

Post by SVonhof »

I am a fan of Weber products because of the great quality and warranty.

For anyone thinking about Kamodo style grills, Weber now has one... It is larger than the Char-Griller version (24" vs 20") so you can fit a packer brisket on it but way more than the $300 MSRP of the Char-Griller Acorn.

Not cheap with MSRP being just over $1k:
https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/char ... 01001.html

Or a cart mounted gas ignition version for $1800:
https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/char ... 01101.html

A nice cross-section of them:

Cheaper than a comparable BGE? I don't know, but it is much cheaper than the fancy Kamodo Kamado of comparable size.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
Smokin Mike
Sultan of Sauce

Re: Weber now has Kamodo style grill/smokers

Post by Smokin Mike »

That is a nice looking unit but way out of my budget. I checked the closest ACE and they have this for $1,049.00 (not assembled). They also have several sizes of the BGE. ACE has gone upscale with a lot of their inventory, Yeti coolers and the like. Anyway, I'm not sure if a ceramic style grill is in my future or not, but it's nice to know there are options.
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Post by SVonhof »

Smokin Mike wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:45 am That is a nice looking unit but way out of my budget. I checked the closest ACE and they have this for $1,049.00 (not assembled). They also have several sizes of the BGE. ACE has gone upscale with a lot of their inventory, Yeti coolers and the like. Anyway, I'm not sure if a ceramic style grill is in my future or not, but it's nice to know there are options.
Go get a $300 Char-Griller Akorn if you want to move that direction. I hear nothing but good things about them, my only complaint is the 20" size. You can likely fit a 11-12lb packer on there, but that's it.

We have a family gathering next weekend and I am going to see if I can get a prime brisket from Costco. I say that because if they are all 17+ lb beasts, I am not doing it as they are just too much.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
necron 99
Smoke Whisperer

Post by necron 99 »

I've considered a ceramic cooker before, but we wind up moving (work related) too much. Even my little cheap BBQ Pro bullet smoker suffered its share of things, smoke would leak from places it previously didn't where the lid fit after the 2 moves its made.

Even if I was to live out my days where we are now (which would be great with me), I'm too wary of spending that kind of money on something that fragile.

One of my friends where we last lived started cooking with an Akorn, and just replaced it with another Akorn after 8 years of wear & tear. He really enjoys it including in NW Ohio weather I wouldn't go outside to cook in. I bought an Akorn but never got around to using it. I gave it to one of my nephews who has a passel of kids and he loves it. Neither are cooking big briskets. All sorts of poultry, beef & pork ribs, Boston Butt, tri tip, steaks - those all work fine. The main drawback is adding smoke wood or charcoal mid-cook. I like the ease of doing that on my bullet smokers (and my horizontal offsets) too much to easily give it up.

That Weber rig in the OP looks to me like an upscale Akorn more or less. What justifies its price point beyond bearing the Weber brand (and everything being a Weber product brings).
Portable Kitchens charcoal grill 1970's
Charbroil Masterflame 8000 gasser
BBQ Pro 17" bullet smoker
Fornetto Basso 18" bullet smoker
Brinkmann Stillwater 16" horizontal offset
Oklahoma Joe's Chuckwagon 24" horizontal / vertical offset
Smokin Mike
Sultan of Sauce

Post by Smokin Mike »

SVonhof wrote:Go get a $300 Char-Griller Akorn if you want to move that direction
I'm not going to use the word "never" but I just don't see this happening anytime in the near or distant future and the same for a pellet grill. I have so many charcoal grills and smokers, plus the gasser, if I were to come home with another outdoor cooking appliance I'm absolutely sure I will catch Hell from the little woman only to be repaid in kind by her going shopping and coming home with a dozen pairs of new shoes. 😂🤣😲😜
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Post by SVonhof »

Smokin Mike wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:15 am
SVonhof wrote:Go get a $300 Char-Griller Akorn if you want to move that direction
I'm not going to use the word "never" but I just don't see this happening anytime in the near or distant future and the same for a pellet grill. I have so many charcoal grills and smokers, plus the gasser, if I were to come home with another outdoor cooking appliance I'm absolutely sure I will catch Hell from the little woman only to be repaid in kind by her going shopping and coming home with a dozen pairs of new shoes. 😂🤣😲😜
I get that. With what I have now, I really don't need any more and if I got something that is almost exactly like what I already have, the big question would be "Why?" since the Weber kettle LOOKS pretty much like the Akorn.
Scott V.
necron 99
Smoke Whisperer

Post by necron 99 »

I too am happy with the cookers I currently own, and may actually sell one, my trailer mounted combination horizontal / vertical rig, due to lack of use and low odds of that changing. If my ability to use my patio horizontal offset declines, I can see one of the Masterbuilt gravity feed charcoal and wood cookers taking its place.

Like Mike, I don't foresee a pellet cooker in my future. It'll be interesting to see how the pellet cooker market reacts over the next few years to the new Royal Oak Hardwood charcoal pellets - will they be a short lived flash in the pan or will they be a statistically significant factor for buyers considering pellet cookers vs alternatives?
Portable Kitchens charcoal grill 1970's
Charbroil Masterflame 8000 gasser
BBQ Pro 17" bullet smoker
Fornetto Basso 18" bullet smoker
Brinkmann Stillwater 16" horizontal offset
Oklahoma Joe's Chuckwagon 24" horizontal / vertical offset