Mini-Pig Cooker Build

Showcase your cooker modifications or your build.
Includes grills, discadas, flat tops, etc.
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Mini-Pig Cooker Build

Post by Smokin Mike »

I thought I'd share my progress to date on what I call a mini-pig cooker. It's designed to cook a small pig or whatever else suits me. The specs are as follows;

Dimensions & Volume:
  • Height 32-1/2"
  • Width 48"
  • Depth 29-1/2"
  • Volume 180 Gallons / 24 cu ft.
The top half of the cook chamber is a hexagon with the bottom as a rectangular box.
This is one of the side frames with 3 grate racks;
SideFrame.png

I don't know the term for this piece of geometry but I designed an inverted pyramid to act as a grease catch so that everything would flow to the middle and out a 2" ball valve (not shown)
GreasePan.png

Here's the completed frame
Frame.png

Here it is on legs with the sides, top, and front cover installed. I provided a couple of ports for thermometers. There will be a couple of barn doors for the bottom front with a homemade 3-point latch. The firebox will attach and connect to the opening on the right hand side.
SideCover.png

There's been a lot more progress than what's shown here. I just need to catch up with the picture taking. ;) I'll post that up soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Smokin Mike on Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
gandrfab
Smoke Whisperer

Re: Mini-Pig Cooker Build

Post by gandrfab »

LIKE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Post by SVonhof »

So, will this be a variant on an offset smoker or will you be doing reverse flow? I cannot tell yet.

We want updated pics!
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Post by Smokin Mike »

SVonhof wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:24 pm So, will this be a variant on an offset smoker or will you be doing reverse flow? I cannot tell yet.

We want updated pics!
It is a hybrid reverse flow. Because I don't have enough to do, I'm experimenting with perforated tuning plates. Each 11" wide plate has progressively bigger hokes in it and at the end it is unrestricted so I get the reverse at that point. I'll have to get the plates in and get some more pictures. The other twist is I'll be able to isolate the firebox just for the purpose of making coals and then shovel the coals onto a grate in the bottom of the cook chamber and then I'll have an open roaster. It's all a big chalk board idea right now with the hopes it'll all come together but if it don't I do have a Plan B.

As soon as the holidays get behind us along with this crappy weather I should be able to get back to it and I'll post some updates.
80 Gallon Vertical
jess

Post by jess »

So this is a old post but I've been awol. How did it turn out.
Inquiring minds want to know ;)
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Post by Smokin Mike »

jess wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:45 am So this is a old post but I've been awol. How did it turn out.
Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Jess, the project got sidelined because of me having to relocate to another part of the state. My main focus now is rehabbing a house. I hope to build a shop so that I can get back to my experiments but that's not happening in the near future, sad to say.
80 Gallon Vertical