Project ideas, couple of stainless kegs?

Showcase your cooker modifications or your build.
Includes grills, discadas, flat tops, etc.
gandrfab
Smoke Whisperer

Project ideas, couple of stainless kegs?

Post by gandrfab »

Even though my propane tanks have not taken off, I scored a couple of these today.

Ideas?
keg2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Re: Project ideas, couple of stainless kegs?

Post by Smokin Mike »

Mr. Tony over at TSR made a corn steamer for bulk steaming of corn. That may be a good application; http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewt ... 89ccdddac2

Or a tamale steamer????
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Re: Project ideas, couple of stainless kegs?

Post by SVonhof »

Being that this is the typical cross-section:

You are kinda limited in what you can do with it. Were you thinking of cutting the top off, just below the handle cutouts and the "lid"? If so, maybe do that to both and weld it together to make a really tall vessel (cooking chamber).

Maybe flip one keg on it's head and cut out a portion around the bung, to allow airflow and you can have a fire under it (handles are vents built in). Cut out the bottom of both and connect the two, remove the bung on top for a vent and you have a really tall smoker.

Another option would be to make a T shaped grill/smoker. It has been done in the past with 55 gallon barrels where the fire is in the lower barrel and the one on top is the cooking chamber and has a flip-up lid on it.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner