remote thermometers

Technical Q&A, calculations, etc. for building a cooker or help with your existing cooker.
Welding, fabrication, tools... all discussed here.
dmike25

remote thermometers

Post by dmike25 »

Howdy all, hope this finds ya'll well.
I wonder if anyone knows of a wireless remote thermometer that will transmit 300 feet, and through a bunch of walls. I'm staying in a hotel, and the best spot to put my cooker is about 260 feet down the hall (17 rooms, lotsa walls), a stairway, an exterior wall, and another 30 feet outside to the cooker.
Thanks, Mike
Mike
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Re: remote thermometers

Post by SVonhof »

I think you need one that uses Wifi.

I know you can get some that do that from Thermoworks, but they are not cheap (super high quality though).

I think there are some others that use Wifi and pair with your phone, but I cannot think of which ones those are right now (I have not used any).

Good luck and post up what you end up with and if it works out.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
dmike25

Post by dmike25 »

Thanks Scott. I'll check out Thermoworks. I've had a thermapen for years, good quality product. I guess that speaks well for Thermoworks! Hopefully someone else chimes in with a lower priced option.
To all: I have not done any research yet, nor online shopping. It was just today that I thought of where I can cook while at this hotel. I'm hoping that someone can speak from experience!
Mike
Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Post by Smokin Mike »

Mike, I can tell you from first hand experience that the standard Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer will not go the 300 feet range if it has to go through any walls or other solid objects. It is a "line of site" device. I live in a split level and if I go upstairs with the remote then it loses connection. They make a WiFi interface and if you can get WiFi out in the parking lot as you described, and you can get it in your room, then you should be able to have the remote monitoring. However it sounds like you're in a motel of some sort and you are at the mercy of their network setup and security. I would have a chat with their tech folks before investing a whole lot of money into it.

Another less expensive and lower tech solution is get a wireless camera and point it at the thermometer on the cooker. You should be able to use a smart phone to see the camera, via WiFi, and depending on the features you might be able to use their cloud service to see the camera at other remote locations, like if you had to run to the store or something.
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Post by SVonhof »

Just doing a quick search on Amazon and found this guy:
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Thermome ... 845&sr=8-5

4 sensors for $100 and it is done over Wifi (need your phone to connect it to the Wifi and then go).
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
dmike25

Post by dmike25 »

Thanks Mike and Scott. I did a little (very little) research last night. I got on a chat with Thermoworks, and they finally decided that their best model for my situation was the Smoke X which uses RF, or the basic Smoke with a Thermoworks gateway. Either one of those options would be north of $160! This afternoon I checked out the inkbird (thanks Scott) thermometer, and ordered one. It's only $100.
I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to cook here, but when I do I'll be sure to post a review.
Mike
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Post by SVonhof »

Glad I could help. I hope it works for you.

BTW, backstory for the hotel cooking?

Are you working there or have an event there?
Scott V.
dmike25

Post by dmike25 »

SVonhof wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:26 pm Glad I could help. I hope it works for you.

I spend most of my life living in hotels. I work for a precast erector and crane company. It's rare to work close to home. I always bring a 22" kettle with me. If I get a two day weekend I'll BBQ on Sunday. I can usually find a 4 to 6 pound piece of brisket at a local grocery or walmart. Babybacks, too. I use the snake layout for the briquettes and add some chunks of wood. On a normal week (Saturday work) I'll cook some k.a.m. style CSR's. They don't use up a whole day!
I might have been close to your neck of the woods in November. I spent about a month in Carlsbad CA. I'm in Oklahoma City now for a few months.
I had seen the inkbird the night before but didn't look at it because I had never heard of the brand. And I'd drank 6 or 8 beers by the time I saw it and it was bedtime. After you mentioned it I went back to it. It had some pretty good reviews on amazon. I should have it Wednesday. I don't know when I'll cook, but as soon as I get it I plan to set it up where I'll have my cooker and see if it works. I'll be sure to post the results.
Thanks again,
Mike
SVonhof
Smoke Whisperer

Post by SVonhof »

dmike25 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:48 pm
SVonhof wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:26 pm Glad I could help. I hope it works for you.

I spend most of my life living in hotels. I work for a precast erector and crane company. It's rare to work close to home. I always bring a 22" kettle with me. If I get a two day weekend I'll BBQ on Sunday. I can usually find a 4 to 6 pound piece of brisket at a local grocery or walmart. Babybacks, too. I use the snake layout for the briquettes and add some chunks of wood. On a normal week (Saturday work) I'll cook some k.a.m. style CSR's. They don't use up a whole day!
I might have been close to your neck of the woods in November. I spent about a month in Carlsbad CA. I'm in Oklahoma City now for a few months.
I had seen the inkbird the night before but didn't look at it because I had never heard of the brand. And I'd drank 6 or 8 beers by the time I saw it and it was bedtime. After you mentioned it I went back to it. It had some pretty good reviews on amazon. I should have it Wednesday. I don't know when I'll cook, but as soon as I get it I plan to set it up where I'll have my cooker and see if it works. I'll be sure to post the results.
Thanks again,
Interesting work!

Carlsbad, Ca is 418 miles from me, so nope, you were not close. If you look at a map of California, I am pretty much in the center vertically and horizontally. I can be on the beach (I hate the beach in Nor Cal as it is just too cold) or in the Sierra's in under 2 hours.
Scott V.