Smoked Beef Fatty?

Discussion about cooking beef
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Smoked Beef Fatty?

Post by SVonhof »

Mom and dad are moving to Tn and I got some of the stuff that was in their freezer. It included 2 1-pound ground beef chubs (is that really what they are called?). I was thinking of thawing one, getting it out of the plastic tube casing and putting some rub on, then wrapping in bacon and smoking to temp. Maybe a little more rub on the outside of the bacon as well.

Anyone ever do something like this?

I looked it up and found this one that uses pork and beef:
https://www.smokedmeatsunday.com/smoked-fatty/

But I was thinking of going super basic and just doing the beef, bacon and rub.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner
YukonJasper
Smoke Whisperer

Re: Smoked Beef Fatty?

Post by YukonJasper »

Looks good and sounds good. I think I'd dress it up with the pork sausage and mix in other ingredients also......go big or go home👍🍻. You could really let your imagination run wild. As long as you keep the salt in check, it could be fantastic 👌

Oh and they are chubs.......
Smokin Mike
Sultan of Sauce

Post by Smokin Mike »

Yeah, they're called chubs. I have no clue why. Sounds like you would be making a meat loaf, which isn't a bad thing, it's just not going to be in the rectangular loaf that everyone is accustomed to.
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle
SVonhof
Charcoal Chief

Post by SVonhof »

YukonJasper wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:34 pm Looks good and sounds good. I think I'd dress it up with the pork sausage and mix in other ingredients also......go big or go home👍🍻. You could really let your imagination run wild. As long as you keep the salt in check, it could be fantastic 👌

Oh and they are chubs.......
I totally agree on salt. We are very sensitive to it, so we don't use anywhere near as much as what is called out in recipes. It is really easy to add some salt, but REALLY hard to remove it.
Scott V.
My gear: Weber Genesis EP-330 (gas grill), UDS, MUDS/Weber Smokey Joe, Weber 22" kettle, Camp Chef 30k BTU burner