Brine ?

Barnyard Fowl: chicken, turkey, duck, and goose
SMOKEDUP

Brine ?

Post by SMOKEDUP »

Why does everybody brine in a salt water bath? I'm wondering if I'm missing something?
I ask because I've always just followed my grandmothers advice on getting chicken ready to cook. She basically just salted it heavy and tossed it in fridge for several hours. Then drained dried and cooked however.
Was always the sunday morning ritual before church. Naturally then it was fried .
Only change I've made is spices added to salt.
If the grill's smokin it don't need stokin!

Smokin Mike
Charcoal Chief

Re: Brine ?

Post by Smokin Mike »

Well??? There's dry brining and there's wet brining and they both get similar results. I like to put rub on pork butts and ribs the night before and that's a form of dry brining because of all the sea salt in the rub. I've always wet brined poultry without thinking too much about it. You pose an interesting question which I think just boils down to personal preferences and what you want to accomplish. I have a holiday brine that I use on turkey that has some soy sauce, maple syrup, and other flavors that couldn't be dry brined.
80 Gallon Vertical
Modified New Braunfels Offset to Reverse Flow
Under Construction: 48" x 29" mini-pig cooker
Charbroil Performance 780 & 22" Weber Kettle

YukonJasper

Re: Brine ?

Post by YukonJasper »

I thought the wet brineing was intended to encourage hydration of the meat. The chicken pulls the salt water and flavor of the brine in to help prevent drying during cooking/smoking.